Evaluation of SLIS National Disability Inclusion Strategy (NDIS) actions October 2022
A foreward from SLIS Chairperson Rónán Lowry
Summary of the Evaluation of Sign Language Interpreting Service (SLIS) National Disability Inclusion Strategy (NDIS) actions
Ann Clarke and Tom Martin researched the SLIS progress on the NDIS actions 2017-2022. They consulted Deaf organisations and other stakeholders for this evaluation. The most successful actions identified in the report were:
- Putting in place a register for interpreters.
- Extending remote interpreting hours.
- Providing on-going professional training and development to interpreters.
Actions that proved to be more challenging and difficult were:
- Increasing the number of sign language interpreters.
- Provision of a voucher/social inclusion scheme