WHAT IS REMOTE INTERPRETING (IRIS)
The Irish Remote Interpreting Service (IRIS) provides a live video-link to an Irish Sign Language interpreter. Opening hours: Monday – Friday 9.20am – 5pm
IRIS was set up to reduce the inequalities Deaf people face every day in accessing public and other services and information.
IRIS enables organisations to communicate with Deaf clients, giving them access to their services and fully complying with Equal Status & Disability legislation, as well as Consumer Protection Codes and customer charters.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
You arrange a video link appointment (e.g. skype for business) with the Deaf person and IRIS. The remote interpreter interprets for you and your Deaf client through video.
Benefits of using IRIS
- Improves service to your Deaf clients
- Increases your services reach
- Enhances your corporate reputation
- Contributes to social inclusion and equality
- Enables you to comply with legislation
Advance booking recommended
Best to book in advance (at least one week’s notice is advised).
Where is IRIS appropriate?
- Customer communications on your products and services
- Information queries and sales
- Meetings with staff members
- Documentation and form filling
IRIS is an additional service, but face-to-face interpreting services are still advised where IRIS is deemed inappropriate.
How much does it cost?
The service is free for Deaf citizens and many public service providers. Fees:
- €43 per booking (40 minutes)
- €185 for prepaid booking of 5 (€37 each)
- €350 for prepaid booking of 10 (€35 each)
- €600 for 6 month subscription – one appointment per day – unlimited days
- Individualised plans also available
- Charity rate available on request by email email@example.com
WHAT DO I NEED TO SET UP IRIS?
ISL VIDEO ON BOOKING
Hello everyone. Here at IRIS we have 2 new ways of booking IRIS.
Firstly you can book using Facebook by visiting IRIS Facebook page and click BOOK NOW. This will take you to the Timely website. Click BOOK NOW and then select the first option that appears on the list (Deaf person). You can now book a time slot by following the options. When you have finished the booking process IRIS will email to confirm your booking.
You can also book by clicking on this link (insert link) which takes you directly to the Timely website. Follow the process as above and when you are finished IRIS will email you a confirmation of your booking.